Mississippi Thunder Speedway Season Opener

On Friday I covered an event I had the pleasure of covering last year, the 2013 Mississippi Thunder Speedway Season Opener in Fountain City, Wis. 

I spent quite a bit of time out at the dirt track races last summer, just about every Friday I found myself headed that direction.

Covering the races were always a bit of a challenge because of our 9:30 p.m. deadline, and the heat races don't even start until 7. Not to mention the A-Mod and B-Mod heat races are usually toward the end of the heats and that's usually what we're looking to cover most. 

This year was quite a bit different than last year. First off, the weather was much nicer, believe it or not, and secondly my photography has improved significantly. I made some photographs this year that I probably would have never thought to get. It was interesting to cover something that I covered so much last summer, and to notice in what ways I have grown as a photographer.

Not to mention that after a summer of covering the races at MTS, my knowledge of the track and how to cover it had greatly improved.

Anyways, here are some of my favorites from the night. Enjoy.

©Joe Ahlquist/Winona Daily News

No comments:

Post a Comment