2 Assignments, 2 Cameras and 2 Lenses

This afternoon (Friday, Sept. 6, 2013) I decided that for both of my assignments I would just use two cameras (Nikon D700 and D300) and two lenses (24mm f/2.8 on the D700 and 60mm f/2.8 on the D300).

I figured that neither of my two afternoon assignments required anything longer than a 90mm equivalent (60mm on a cropped body = 90mm), and my 24mm f/2.8 on the D700 is my favorite lens/body combination.

At the end of the day it proved to be a good move. Sometimes after a busy afternoon of assignments my back/shoulders can be a little sore. Just carrying two small prime lenses and two bodies was a huge relief on the old back.

I've always been a big fan of prime lenses, particularly the the 24mm f/2.8, but I've never had the guts to cover an assignment without my 80-200 f/2.8. Breaking away from the 80-200 turned out to be a good move.  For some reason, when I use wide zooms I feel like I shoot too wide and have a hard time forcing myself to zoom in.

When I use my 24mm f/2.8 it forces me to be more creative and use my feet to zoom in or out. It makes me think about my shots more.

It was also nice to not have a big bag bouncing around and getting in the way every time I tried to get low for a different angle or something like that.

In the end, though, it's all about the person behind the camera and not the camera.

Thanks for looking.

Sydney Huntimer (left) and Caleb Dagel discuss what to do with a rotten bell pepper in the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Sydney Huntimer, 12, (left) and Madison Gerhart, 11, look for rotten tomatoes in the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Students pick out which items they want to take home in the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Peppers from the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Madison Gerhart, 11, looks for rotten tomatoes in the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Sydney Huntimer, 12, (left) and Madison Gerhart, 11, talk about what to do with some rotten tomatoes in the school garden at Memorial Middle School in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Mike Peterson, of A Plus Towing, cleans a Ford F650 Flat-Bed truck before the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Isaak Booker, 3, of Lennox, S.D., checks out a 1962 American LaFrance Fire Pumper truck during the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Isaak Booker, 3, of Lennox, S.D., explores the cab of a 1962 American LaFrance Fire Pumper truck during the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Willow Booker, 3, of Lennox, S.D., looks out from the top of a 1962 American LaFrance Fire Pumper truck during the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Harris Adamson, 10, (left) and his brother Calvin Adamson, 7, both of Sioux Falls, sit on top of a 2001 Harley Davidson Heritage Soft Tail during the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)
Abigail Glanc, 9, of Sioux Falls, smiles as she honks the air-horn of the Allied Building Products' Articulated Knuckle Boom truck during the Touch-a-Truck event put on by the Sioux Falls Parks and Recreation department at Harmodon Park in Sioux Falls, S.D., on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013. (Joe Ahlquist / Argus Leader)

No comments:

Post a Comment