Pheasant Hunting Opener (10.19.13)

Today I found myself out pheasant hunting with a family who gets together every year for the opening of pheasant hunting season here in South Dakota. 

I love these kinds of assignments because there is usually so much going on that my subjects immediately forget that I'm there, and I can just fade into the background and be as unobtrusive as I want to be.

As someone who enjoys hunting, fishing and just being outside, I thoroughly enjoyed this assignment.

Although the pheasant numbers are down, the hunters we were with managed to knock down a few birds, but more importantly, they had a good time. Most of the people we were with were stressing the fact that they enjoyed being out there more than actually shooting the birds.

Which, for me, is what I have always enjoyed most about hunting and fishing. It's always been more about the experience in the woods, on the water or in the field with family than it is about getting whatever it is we're after.

That said, I'll stop writing and show you some pictures.

Here are a few of my favorite frames from the day. More photos can be seen here.

©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader
©Joe Ahlquist/Argus Leader

No comments:

Post a Comment